I am feeling a little badly about not adding new content to my genealogy website lately. It isn’t that I don’t have more information to add, it’s just that I haven’t gotten around to it. At the start of the school year, I took over the responsibility of webmaster for my younger son’s cub scout pack. It’s our own domain hosted on a shared webserver. So in addition to the website design, the job entails site maintenance and creating/updating mailing lists and things like that.
One of the things I added was an onsite photo gallery. I checked out some options and decided to install Gallery2. Gallery is open source, so after I got it installed, I was able to poke around the code and customize the colors, header, footer, etc to have the same look and feel as the main part of the site. I was actually feeling pretty good about all of this when Murphy’s Law strikes. I get an email from the webhosting company – they are moving our site to a new server. Arg!!!!
Well, the move occured late last week – and needless to say, it hasn’t been seamless. I am now having an issue with file ownership and permissions. I will be contacting the webhost to see if they can change the ownership – I don’t have the permissions to do that. If not, I may have to re-install gallery. Arg!!
In the meantime, I’ve been letting my genealogy site languish a bit. Hopefully in a couple days (at the most) the cub scout site will be back in business, and I can do some more obituary transcribing.
On a side note – this whole experience does leave me itching to get my own domain for my genealogy and other family stuff. But I think I’ll save that discussion for another post!