Wow, it’s been a while since my last blog post and also since I’ve last added content to my genealogy website. Unfortunately, I’ve been busy with some other “projects.” One of those “projects” is my PSP program. PSP (Paint Shop Pro) is a photo-editing/graphics program. I’ve been using it several years for the photo editing part, but lately I have been trying to learn more of graphics design tools. One reason is that I would really like to digitally scrap my vintage photos and then publish them in a photobook. I’ve found many very talented designers who have created beautiful digital papers and scrap kits using PSP. I have considered using their papers and/or kits, but have decided I would really like to create my own designs. I’ve read through many tutorials to get a feel for how to create different designs and effects. But, of course, the way to really learn is to play with the software and try different things. (After all, there’s always the delete key if you’re not happy with the results!)
To start, I decided to create a my own custom header for my genealogy site (and this blog). The hardest part about this, is trying to decide on a size – particularly a width. Not only will people viewing the website have different size monitors but they may set their browser window to any arbitrary width to accomodate viewing multiple, overlapping windows. For the website banner, I settled on a width of 728 pixels, which may look “short” on wider monitors/browser windows, but (hopefully) won’t get terribly cut off on narrower ones. If you’re visiting my website, I hope you like it!
I am feeling a little badly about not adding new content to my genealogy website lately. It isn’t that I don’t have more information to add, it’s just that I haven’t gotten around to it. At the start of the school year, I took over the responsibility of webmaster for my younger son’s cub scout pack. It’s our own domain hosted on a shared webserver. So in addition to the website design, the job entails site maintenance and creating/updating mailing lists and things like that.
One of the things I added was an onsite photo gallery. I checked out some options and decided to install Gallery2. Gallery is open source, so after I got it installed, I was able to poke around the code and customize the colors, header, footer, etc to have the same look and feel as the main part of the site. I was actually feeling pretty good about all of this when Murphy’s Law strikes. I get an email from the webhosting company – they are moving our site to a new server. Arg!!!!
Well, the move occured late last week – and needless to say, it hasn’t been seamless. I am now having an issue with file ownership and permissions. I will be contacting the webhost to see if they can change the ownership – I don’t have the permissions to do that. If not, I may have to re-install gallery. Arg!!
In the meantime, I’ve been letting my genealogy site languish a bit. Hopefully in a couple days (at the most) the cub scout site will be back in business, and I can do some more obituary transcribing.
On a side note – this whole experience does leave me itching to get my own domain for my genealogy and other family stuff. But I think I’ll save that discussion for another post!